Originally Posted On July 1, 2023 and Last Updated On
Disclaimer: We independently review everything we recommend. We may earn a commission when you buy through our links. You can learn more here.
Purple Dragon Martini Recipe – How to Make a Vibrant Cocktail
The Purple Dragon Martini is a sweet and yet tart tasting drink that has 5 ingredients to it. But don’t worry, this drink is still simple to make even if you’re a new home bartender, just make sure you actually have all the ingredients on hand before trying to concoct one.
- 3 ounces (approximately 88.7 ml) vodka
- 1.5 ounces (approximately 44.4 ml) cranberry juice
- 0.5 ounces (approximately 14.8 ml) blue Curacao liqueur
- 0.5 ounces (approximately 14.8 ml) sweet and sour mix
- 0.5 ounces (approximately 14.8 ml) 7-Up
- 2 to 3 ice cubes
- Chill the Martini Glass: Place a martini glass in the freezer for a few minutes to chill it. You usually don’t add ice to the finished drink so it just helps keep the cocktail chilled as much as possible.
- Gather all your Ingredients: vodka, cranberry juice, blue Curacao liqueur, sweet and sour mix, 7-Up, and ice cubes.
- Mix the Cocktail: In a cocktail shaker, combine the vodka, cranberry juice, blue Curacao liqueur, sweet and sour mix, and a few ice cubes. Shake for about 10 seconds to thoroughly mix and chill the everything.
- Strain and Pour: Strain the mixture into the chilled martini glass, using a strainer to ensure no ice gets into the drink.
- Add a Fizzy Finish: Top off the cocktail with 7-Up, which adds a refreshing effervescence to the drink.
Salt your rim before adding the drink to the pre-chilled martini glass. The pre-chill should be enough condensation to make the salt stick to the glass.
Although there’s no reference to who created this drink or its history, I’d guess the drink is named after its vibrant purple color similarly to my Grape Gatorade shot recipe here, which also comes from the Blue Curacao Liqueur.
And just a side note, due to the dazzling color of this drink, if you really want to put it over the top, add a little glitter dust to really make it stand out. And this is always served in a salt-rimmed martini glass with no other garnish.
List of Ingredients for Purple Dragon Martini
- 3 ounces vodka
- 1 1/2 ounces cranberry juice
- 1/2 ounces blue Curacao liqueur
- 1/2 ounces sweet and sour mix
- 1/2 ounces of 7-Up
- 2 to 3 ice cubes
Step-by-Step Instructions to Prepare the Cocktail
Step 1: Chill the Martini Glass: Place a martini glass in the freezer for a few minutes to chill it. You usually don’t add ice to the finished drink so it just helps keep the cocktail chilled as much as possible.
Step 2: Gather all your Ingredients: vodka, cranberry juice, blue Curacao liqueur, sweet and sour mix, 7-Up, and ice cubes.
Step 3: Mix the Cocktail: In a cocktail shaker, combine the vodka, cranberry juice, blue Curacao liqueur, sweet and sour mix, and a few ice cubes. Shake for about 10 seconds to thoroughly mix and chill the everything.
Step 4: Strain and Pour: Strain the mixture into the chilled martini glass, using a strainer to ensure no ice gets into the drink.
Step 5: Add a Fizzy Finish: Top off the cocktail with 7-Up, which adds a refreshing effervescence to the drink.
Bar Tools Needed
- Martini glass: A stemmed glass with a wide, cone-shaped bowl that is perfect for showcasing the vibrant colors of the Purple Dragon Martini, especially with the salted rim.
- Cocktail shaker: Used to mix and chill the ingredients thoroughly. They come in Boston Shakers or Cobler Shakers.
- Strainer: Used to strain the cocktail from the shaker while pouring it into the glass.
Interesting Notes on Ingredients and Recommended Brands
- Vodka: Any brand of vodka can be used in this recipe, but some popular brands include Grey Goose, Absolut, and Ketel One.
- Cranberry juice: Ocean Spray is a popular brand of cranberry juice.
- Blue Curacao liqueur: Bols and DeKuyper are popular brands.
- Sweet and sour mix: Master of Mixes and Finest Call are the better brands of sweet and sour mix to use for this.
- 7-Up: Any brand of lemon-lime soda can be used in this recipe, even Sprite, but personally I like 7Up as it isn’t so sweet.
- Drink Type: Cocktail
- Serving Size: 1 drink
- ABV: Approximately 17%
- Nutritional Information: Approximately 200 calories per serving
Tips for Making This Recipe
- Salt the rim of the glass before pouring the drink.
- Chill the glass to keep the drink as cold as possible for as long as possible.
Garnish and Glass Choice for the Perfect Presentation
The Purple Dragon Martini is traditionally served in a martini glass with a salt-rimmed edge. A slice of lime or lemon can be used as a garnish but isn’t necessary. Or you can stick with the color theme and use a purple grape.
Yes, there are many ingredients that you can substitute. Cranberry juice can be substituted with Pomegranate Juice or Grapefruit Juice for a twist on the drink. Or try try substituting lemon-lime soda and ginger ale for the sweet and sour mix in this recipe.
The Purple Dragon Martini has a sweet and fruity flavor profile with a touch of tartness.
Use a martini glass for this drink. If you don’t have a martini glass, use a rocks glass or old fashioned glass.
You do not need to garnish this as the salted rim acts as the garnish. If you want to garnish, I suggest sticking with purple colored garnishes like a grape, or even a grape gummy for a nice sweet ending.
Similar Drinks to the Purple Dragon Cocktail
Blue Hawaiian: Combines blue Curacao, pineapple juice, and rum.
Sea Breeze: Combines cranberry juice, grapefruit juice, and vodka.
Blue Lagoon: Combines blue Curacao, lemonade, and vodka.
Cosmopolitan: Combines cranberry juice, lime juice, and vodka.
Sex on the Beach: Combines cranberry juice, peach schnapps, and vodka.
So let me know what you think of this cocktail recipe. As I said, it looks amazing and taste great too. If you’re a fan or you have a variation, let me know in the comments section so I can share it with my readers.